Opp Police Department Employment
Police Applicant Minimum Requirements
- Applicant must provide High School Diploma or GED certificate.
- Applicant must possess a valid Alabama driver license.
- Applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- Applicant cannot have any felony convictions in any State, be under indictment, or have a pending case. (NOTE: a pardon does not nullify a conviction.)
- Applicant cannot have a misdemeanor conviction involving domestic violence or moral turpitude, or have a pending case regarding such.
- Applicant who has been a member of the Armed Forces of the United States must provide proof of honorable discharge (i.e. DD Form 214).
- Applicant shall be a person of good moral character and reputation. A background investigation will be conducted.
- Applicant will be required to pass a physical agility / ability examination.
- Agility course involves:
- A timed run of 150 yards while completing the below listed requirements:
- Pushing a vehicle on a level surface for 15 feet. (Running for 50 yards)
- Climbing a 6 foot fence. (Running for 50 yards)
- Climbing through a 2 foot square window frame. (Running for 25 yards)
- Walking a balance beam for 15 feet. (Running for 25 yards)
- Dragging a weighted object (165 lbs) a distance of 15 feet.
- Each of the preceding requirements must be completed within 90 seconds.
- Ability portion involves:
- Completing 25 sit-ups in 60 seconds.
- Completing 22 push-ups in 60 seconds.
- Completing a 1.5 mile run in 15 minutes and 28 seconds.
- Applicant shall be certified by a licensed physician designated by the City of Opp Human Resources Director.
- Applicant must attend and graduate from an approved in-state Police Academy after initial hire to continue employment as a Police Officer.
The hiring process begins by filling out an application for employment. Applications are available at the Opp Police Department.